Preference VS. Fetishization
"In a recent survey, 24 percent defined the American dream as “not being in debt.” They’re not trying to get ahead. They’re just trying to get to zero."
24%. Nearly a quarter of people whose deepest hope isn’t a vacation home or a third car or a business of their own. But just to not spend their life worrying about how much they owe someone else.
And how much of that debt is for things we’ve been told were necessary- student loans, auto loans because public transit isn’t an option, credit cards and medical expenses because they can’t afford health insurance. Yeah, I’m sure some of it is on other things, less necessary things, but so much of our culture is bent on tying people down to as much debt as it possibly can.
Lorde on her friendship with Taylor Swift
- Kyle Sandilands (Australian DJ): I see you guys’ pictures everywhere, are you guys together now? Not together as in lesbians, I’m not talking about “Ellen together” I’m talking about, like you guys are friendly right?
- Lorde: What do you mean you’re not talking about “Ellen together”, is there something wrong with lesbians?
- Kyle: Oh my god no, I would love that! Are you going to confirm now you’re in a lesbian relationship with her?
- Lorde: Don’t even try it. It's not working.
- Kyle: I do love her though, we get along well with her. She’s very down to earth, right?
- Lorde: Uh… yeah.
- Kyle: Don’t go too overboard explaining the friendship.
- Lorde: I won’t, believe me.